Saturday, April 12, 2008

The Old Ball and Chain

Nathan's desk bleeped.

"Yes?"

"Mr. Fletcher? It's Ed Collins. I've been sent to talk to you about a job as a pilot on your ship."

And you're also here to keep tabs on me, thought Nathan sourly. He took a deep breath and said, "Please come on in Mr. Collins."

Nathan wasn't quite sure what to expect an Imperial spy to look like. He certainly didn't expect someone as plain as the man who walked through the door. But that's the whole point, isn't it, thought Nathan, they need to look like everyone else to blend in. Mr. Collins was a bit on the short side, a bit on the stout side and he apparently didn't care much about his balding head to do anything about it. He wore the slightly rumpled jumpsuit that was about as formal as you could expect from an ex-Scout or tramp Merchant.

"Mr. Collins, a pleasure to meet you," said Nathan, getting to his feet and extending his hand.

"Same here, Mr. Fletcher, said Collins, returning a solid grip. "Or is that Captain Fletcher?"

"Not yet," said Nathan, "my ship is largely in pieces all over the docking bay. It'll be a few more weeks before they patch everything up and I can officially claim the hat. Until then, I'm just a guy who holds the lease to a lot of spare parts."

"I'm sure everything will be put back together in one piece. The techs around here are really good and your analysis of the work to be done was pretty detailed."

"That was actually my Engineer, Linda Stone."

"Well, in any event, I'm sure your ship will be ready to go in no time at all. So. Let's have a frank discussion about my presence on your ship and how I can be of service to you."

"My understanding is that you're here to make sure I don't run off with the ship."

"But you're not going to run off with the ship, Mr. Fletcher. I've studied your records, I've seen your business plan. You're not here to con us out of a ship, you're here to make a boatload of cash. You want to make extended trading tours into the Borderlands, but you're going to come back. Besides, if you did want to steal the ship, where would you go? To the Hierate? To the League? To the Zhodani? Hardly. And you're certainly not going to turn pirate in this thing, it's a terrible design for a corsair. No, I have full confidence that you are an honest merchant who simply wants to run a small trading route."

"I'm glad the Imperium has such faith in me."

"We do, Mr. Fletcher. My principle job is to make sure that your ship returns to Imperium space after a profitable year away in space. This just happens to be exactly what you want. Your goal is my goal and I would hope that you could view me in that light: an enthusiastic crew member who wants to help make this a good run."

"Except that you can order me to drop everything and do what you say."

"Strictly speaking, yes. Yes I can. However, this isn't going to work if you feel that I'm an obstacle to be avoided or worked around or endured. The ship is your ship, Mr. Fletcher. You run it as you see fit."

"As long as I'm home before bedtime."

"Your original business plan suggested a route very much like the one we requested. You have always been planning to operate out of Imperium space and into the Borderlands. I'm hardly imposing some strange new route on you. When we're out there, you will be the man in charge and I will do my utmost to make sure that you get your ship home again."

"What about these side missions we might have to take on?"

"Most of the work is completely above-board and all of it will be handled by me. There's no need for a lot of cloak-and-dagger work. Just jump into the system. Count the ships that are there and then start trading. Most of our best intelligence is all open-source stuff anyway."

Nathan chewed his lip and pretended to review Ed's resume.

"Mr Fletcher, you offered your services to Imperial Intelligence in exchange for financial backing. We're happy to give that to you, the service you and your ship can provide is a worthwhile investment as far as we're concerned. I know that the Captain's Hat is important to you and that my presence and the drive timers must be a terrible imposition to you. But I also think you're smart enough to realize that this is a pretty sweet deal and that you can make a fair amount of money and help protect the place you where you like to spend it. Again, I urge you to consider me part of your crew because that's very much what I'd like to be. If you don't feel you can work with me, that's fine, you're free to reject me. They'll send someone else, of course, but I want to work with you and if we're not a good fit, then I don't want to sign on."

Nathan sighed, "You've made your point, Mr. Collins. Please tell me a little bit more about your qualifications as a pilot."

"Nearly 30 years experience in the Scout Service," said Ed. "The last 12 have been in this region of space and the stints before that were along the Spinward Marches. Like you, I'm very familiar with the Borderlands. I've even been across the old Sindal Empire and into League space. I also have some connections with minor Aslan clans. I can pilot anything from an X-boat to a small Patrol Cruiser. You can see my ratings on file along with Sim ratings and total flight time, which is more easily expressed in years than hours. I'm also handy with a toolbox."

"Well, I can't argue with these numbers," said Nathan, "I couldn't hope to find anyone more qualified." Nathan turned it over in his mind. The condition was he had to take someone and if he was truculent, they might send a bigger hard-ass to watch over him. Collins could at least give the illusion that Nathan was in full control and maybe that's what he'd have to live with for now.

"Well, Mr. Collins," said Nathan, "you've made your case. When I finally have a ship, I'll welcome you aboard. Until then, let's have a drink to seal the deal." Nathan made a quick pass and a servtor drone brought in some drinks.

"To our new partnership," said Nathan.

"To a profitable venture," answered Ed.

"One more thing," said Nathan after the celebratory swallow. "I assume that you want to be treated as just a pilot and that no one should know about your special status?"

"That would be for the best, yes", said Ed.

"I'd like to bend that rule a bit and inform Linda. She already knows that there will be a representative on-board, I feel like she should know it's you. She's an old friend and trusted partner so I'd like to let her know. Also, in the event that I'm not around and you need to reveal your status to the crew, she can back you up. She's the only other person who needs to know."

"Sounds good to me."

"Great. With you on-board as Pilot that's one less thing I have to worry about. I hope we can provide you with a very boring year away, Ed."

"Me too, Mr. Fletcher. Me too."

No comments: